A small medieval village on the spur of land where the Pesio and Pogliola rivers meet, in the past Rocca de’ Baldi was defended by its ancient castle and the deep Tagliata moat. Founded by Ubaldo, of the lords of Morozzo, in the 13th century, it was initially just a tower and an adjacent building. After being burnt and sacked by Spanish troops in 1543, it was rebuilt and enlarged, and enfeoffed to Carlo Filippo Morozzo in 1642.
Its transformation into a residential palace was completed in 1710, when the Marquis Gaspare Filippo Morozzo had a new wing built (currently painted pink), designed by architect Francesco Gallo. After hosting a “Colonia Provinciale Orfani di Guerra” (provincial home for war orphans) and a nursery school in the 20th century, today the building, owned by the municipality, is home to the Provincial Ethnographic Museum and the “Augusto Doro” Study Centre, established out of the collaboration between the provincial administration, the “Società Studi Storici Artistici ed Archeologici” (society for historical, artistic and architectural studies) and the Rocca de’ Baldi municipality.
Visitors can tour the halls on the main floor, including some room reconstructions, the ethnographic displays on the second floor, the crenellated tower (called the “Torre dell’Agnese” after the wife of Ubaldo Morozzo) and the large park, recently restored as part of the Interreg “Jardin des Alpes” project. Of note in the park are the three ancient specimens of Sophora japonica. Part of the garden has been turned into an orchard and planted with around 100 native local varieties of apples, pears and cherries.
Organization of educational activities for schools
Local sights: Groups can also book inclusive visits to the castle, the civic tower (with a small exhibition of clocks and bells), the parish church of San Marco (the high altar, the work of the Carlone brothers, is one of the most important examples of the baroque in the Mondovì area) and the Museum of Local and Military History housed in the former canonical house (telling the story of Rocca de’ Baldi and the military events that have involved it, from the Napoleonic occupation to the end of the Second World War)
In the area: Mondovì and Vicoforte sanctuary, Crava Morozzo nature reserve and LIPU bird oasis, Brichetto sanctuary, church of S. Fiorenzo and pictorial cycle at Bastia di Mondovì, Augusta Bagiennorum archaeological finds at Benevagienna
Typical products: mixed flower, chestnut and silver fir honeydew honey; cheeses; beef and veal; Morozzo capons; Dolcetto wine; Freshwater fish are farmed in the waters of the Pesio River in the area around the Crava Morozzo nature reserve and oasis