The castle was already in existence at the beginning of the 13th century. In the early Middle Ages, the ownership of Trisobbio was divided between the marquises of Del Bosco, De Uxecio (Belforte) and Occimiano. In 1217 the Marquis Ottone Del Bosco and his great nephews, sons of the late Bonifacio, gave Trisobbio to the city of Genoa. As the Occimianos had ceded their own rights to the city of Alessandria, the resulting joint ownership of Trisobbio led, in 1224, to a war between the two cities. Trisobbio was occupied by the Alessandrian forces who installed themselves in the castle.
During the peace negotiations, the fortification was returned to the Del Boscos, and therefore indirectly to Genoa.
Frederick II, in search of allies, confirmed the ancient rights of the marquises of Occimiano and a little later entrusted Trisobbio to the Marquis of Monferrato, in 1240.
As a result, joint ownership of the village continued. The issue was resolved when the Malaspinas, who had succeeded the Del Boscos by inheritance, received recognition from both the marquises of Monferrato and from Genoa.
In 1418-1419 Trisobbio was occupied by the Milanese, during the war with Genoa, and from them it was handed over to Monferrato, their ally. The feud then passed to another Genoan family, Spinola, which kept it until the Napoleonic invasion.
Already in the early 13th century the castle’s structure must have been the same shape we see today. Later modifications came at the end of the 15th century, in conjunction with the establishment of the Malaspinas and the necessary strengthening of the castle.
Around the end of the 19th century it was in a state of deterioration and ruin.
In 1913 the architect of Liguria’s Monuments Department, Terenzio, wrote to the architect Commendator Alfredo D’Andrade, on behalf of the Marquis Carpaneto Spinola, so that the documents for starting the restoration works could be sent.
In 1989 the castle and its park became the property of the municipality. The owner at the time, the Marchioness Carolina Gavotti Finocchio, eased the acquisition of the castle by the administration, while the entire sum necessary was donated by Elena Bianchi. The castle was restored and now houses a hotel and restaurant.
Event hire, restaurant, accommodation in five hotel rooms
In the area: Acqui Terme thermal baths, Ovada, Alto Monferrato castles, wineries
Local sights: Palazzo Rossi Dogliotti, dating to the 17th century and currently the town hall; parish church dedicated to Nostra Signora Assunta and frescoed by Pietro Ivaldi, known as the Mute; green route, trail of around 3 km connecting Trisobbio to Montaldo Bormida
Typical products: wines (Dolcetto d’Ovada, Gavi DOCG, Cortese del Monferrato, Moscato d’Asti, Brachetto di Acqui, Passito di Strevi), Roccaverano Robiola cheese, Ponzone Filetto Baciato salami, white Alba truffles, Fassone Piemontese beef
The Grissinari bakery in Trisobbio should not be missed for excellent breadsticks and biscuits.
Sport: horseriding; tennis and beach volley courts in Trisobbio’s outdoor swimming pool complex
Events: “Paesaggi e Castelli”, “Musica Estate” guitar festival, “Biodivino” organic wine festival, “Cavalcata Aleramica”, “Tarsobi, tartufi e vino” white truffle and wine fair and market