Castelli Aperti
 

 

Museo Civico e Gipsoteca Bistolfi - Ex Convento di Santa Croce di Casale Monferrato

Museo Civico e Gipsoteca Bistolfi  - Ex Convento di Santa Croce di Casale Monferrato

History
The museum is housed within the former Augustinian convent of Santa Croce. Access is through the large cloister, frescoed in the early 17th century with stories from the life of Saint Nicholas of Tolentino by the painter Guglielmo Caccia, known as Il Moncalvo. The museum's collection is the result of a variety of donations by Casale citizens, initially brought together in a civic collection in the mid 19th century. There are many works by Piedmontese and Lombard artists such as Martino Spanzotti, Niccolò Musso, Francesco Cairo, Pietro Francesco Guala, Angelo Morbelli and others, as well as wooden and ceramic sculptures. The archaeological section is home to the display "Longobards in Monferrato: Archaeology of the Iudiciaria Torrensis".
The "Leonardo Bistolfi Gipsoteca" is located on the ground floor and contains over 170 works by the Casalese symbolist sculptor, including terracottas, drawings, models, plaster casts, marbles and bronzes.
A splendid 15th-century portal from the former church of Santa Maria di Piazza can be found in the small cloister.


Tour
During the "Castelli Aperti" initiative (second weekwend of every months) free guided tours are available of the Torre Civica, the Theater, churches and palaces, starting at 3 pm every second Sunday of the month.
The civic museum is regularly open to the public throughout the year, with a entrance fee.

 

Additional information
In the area: Basso Monferrato castles, sanctuary and Sacro Monte di Crea
Typical products: Portinaro (Via Lanza 17) still makes krumiri the artisanal way. While the exact origins of the biscuits are unknown, one legend maintains that they were created after the death of King Victor Emanuel II in 1878 and modelled on his handlebar moustache. Others say that the name was inspired by an episode of the time when a caravan of Europeans was rescued by a tribe of Bedouins called the Krumiri, in possession of a restorative elixir, and that the biscuits were named after the tribe. We know that Domenico Rossi was their inventor and that he was awarded a bronze medal at the Universal Exposition in Turin in 1884 for his recipe. The biscuits also received a royal warrant from Umberto I and the royal princes.
Today they are sold in a distinctive red metal tin.
Wines (Barbera, Grignolino), white Alba truffles.
Events: "Casale Città Aperta" and antiques market (second weekend of the month), "Fiera di San Giuseppe" (March), "Riso e Rose" (May), "Festa del Vino e del Monferrato" wine festival (September)

 

 

SEARCH

Type

Province

Buildings

PHOTO GALLERY

OPENING TIMES

 


INFORMATION

MUSEO CIVICO E GIPSOTECA BISTOLFI - EX CONVENTO DI SANTA CROCE DI CASALE MONFERRATO
Via Cavour, 5
15033  Casale Monferrato (AL)
Tel: +39 0142 444309; +39 0142 444249
Fax: +39 0142 444249
Email: cultura@comune.casale-monferrato.al.it
Web: www.comune.casale-monferrato.al.it

Follow us on facebook
 
 

Castelli Aperti 2014 - P.Iva 22458912647758 - Powered by Blulab